Wednesday, November 24, 2010

My Son's Eagle Project

.
I'm still trying to figure out how my little baby boy grew up so fast and is now taller than I am. And when he started in scouts and told me he wanted to be an eagle scout before he turned 14, I thought "no way."


Turns out he's a highly motivated guy. Tomorrow is his 13th birthday and all he has to do to get his eagle is finish his Fitness marit badge, do his eagle project, and put in the last of the required time as a Life Scout.

Since his mother is an author, he came up with a great idea dealing with books for his eagle project. Here's my son, Matthew, to explain.

My name is Matthew Shelley. I was born with a hole in my diaphragm. My stomach and intestines were up in my chest cavity, so my lungs could not inflate. I was flown immediately to Primary Children's Hospital. The doctors said I needed surgery and only had a 50 percent chance of surviving.

The great news is I lived, and now thirteen years later, I'm working on my eagle rank advancement. Because of my time at Primary Children's Hospital, I'm doing an Eagle Project that would benefit other children that may be staying at the hospital over the holidays.

I'm gathering donations of new children's books to wrap and take as Christmas presents to the children at the hospital. Check out my blog for more details and a link to donate.

http://www.matthewseagleproject.blogspot.com/

Thanks,

Matthew Shelley

No comments: